This is the first "webinar" in a series of lectures on Hurricane Katrina developed by ASCE. The seminar will be presented over the internet with the lecturer "live" via phone. You will have the ability to send questions to the lecturer. Please bring your own lunch and enjoy the lecture; earning 1.0 PDHs for the event. Registration will open at 11:30 AM for those paying at the door. The event is in the Smithfield Building 6160 Kempsville Rd., Norfolk, VA (across from Sentara Leigh Hospital), East Entrance, Clark Nexsen Training Center.
1-Overview and Lessons Learned (June 8)
• The system, storm, performance, consequences, and risk components of the IPET analysis
• What has been done with the knowledge gained from the IPET analyses
• The performance of the HPS as a whole and of individual components during Hurricane Katrina
• The storm surges, waves, and consequences of Hurricane Katrina
• The risk to New Orleans and Southeast Louisiana from future hurricanes and tropical storms
• The lessons learned from the system, storm, performance, consequences, and risk components of the IPET analysis, and how they can contribute to positive changes in engineering practice
Speaker: Ed Link, Ph.D., M.ASCE, Senior Research Engineer University of Maryland
(You must register for each webinar in the series separately for the lectures sponsored by ASCE Norfolk)
• Learn important lessons from Hurricane Katrina and the implications for the civil engineering profession and your community
• Improve engineering practice and policies to prevent similar disasters from happening again
• Understand what happened during hurricane Katrina and why
• Gain an understanding of the IPET and ER P analysis of the HPS components’ original design; surge and wave forces on levees and floodwalls; the performance of the levees, floodwalls, interior drainage system, and pump stations; the capacities of the HPS components after the hurricane; and the risk and reliability of the HPS before the hurricane and after repairs and improvements
• Understand how the performance of individual components affects the overall performance of a system
• Earn 1.0 Professional Development Hour (1.0 PDH ) per webinar in the series (13.0 PDH s for the full series)
For more information on the webinar series please go to http://www.asce.org/files/pdf/katrinaJune071.pdfRead more »
Introduction Hurricane Katrina was one of the deadliest and devastating natural disasters to occur in the history of the United States. After billions of dollars in ...
The Federal Response to Hurricane Katrina: Lessons Learned Full PDF Document (3.19 MB) Letter to the President from Frances Fragos Townsend; Foreword;
... Lessons Learned. ... Hurricane Katrina created enormous public ... and the National Hurricane Center worked with diligence and determination in ...
Have questions about Hurricane Katrina: Overview and Lessons Learned? Contact Jointly hosted by ASCE, VWEA, AWWA, and SAME
HURRICANE KATRINA LESSONS LEARNED FEBRUARY 2006 THE ... and Hurricane Andrew in 1992.3 Hurricane Katrina’s devastating effects were felt before the storm …
Lessons Learned From Hurricane Katrina: Preparing Your ... challenges raised by successive hurricane seasons with ... to Hurricane Katrina: Lessons ...
Lessons Learned from Hurricane Katrina: Preparing Your Institution for a Catastrophic Event Summary: The Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council ...
Analysis and Lessons- Learned ... Overview_kpt_0730 Hurricane Katrina Predicted . ... Capturing hurricane Katrina Data for Analysis and Lessons- Learned
Hurricane Katrina Lessons Learned Laurence I. Broun ... Deputy Secretaries and Cabinet members have participated in tabletop exercises to review hurricane …
Sep 16, 2005 · ... "knew that if New Orleans were to experience a hurricane or ... lessons of Hurricane Katrina was that ... Hurricane Katrina, one not learned ...
Executive Summary. The Project On ... Before Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Andrew in 1992 was the most ... “The Federal Response to Hurricane Katrina: Lessons ...
Hurricane Katrina Impact Forty years had elapsed since New Orleans and the surrounding areas had experienced a major storm. For this reason, it seems
... there still are lessons to be learned from Hurricane Katrina, ... Overview: Holly Ann Williams ... http://www.nola.com/hurricane/tp/katrina.ssf?/hurricane/katrina ...
experienced in dealing with a wide range of emergencies and even disasters, hurricane Katrina ... when Hurricane Rita struck the Lessons Learned from
The Federal Response To Hurricane Katrina: Lessons Learned ... ¾ Changes Must Be Made Immediately To Prepare For The 2006 Hurricane Season. The 2006 hurricane
Executive Summary The Project On Government Oversight (POGO) has identified the following systemic failures in federal contracting and evaporating oversight controls ...
... Comparisons and Lessons Learned. ... imagery that was Hurricane Katrina. ... worked together and put politics aside in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
Hurricane Katrina: Engineering Lessons Learned ... Presentation Overview. ... Engineering Lessons Learned 1. Changes to the hurricane protection
Standards and Conformity Assessment Programs ... LESSONS LEARNED FROM HURRICANE KATRINA ... As mentioned in the executive summary, the Workshop examined the lessons ...
A recent special edition of the Elsevier journal Ocean Engineering provides an analysis of the impact of Hurricane Katrina and an overview of the lessons learned in ...
What you need to know about ORSC Advanced courses and certification - from the best source in the...
Attention Real Estate Industry Professionals!!! Please join us for a special "Lunch and Learn" i...
Five Capitals Learning Community February 27th - March 1st, 2014 Join us for an intentional week...
PALATE BUILDER LearnAboutWine started in 1995 and has invented hundreds of classes toassist ...
Presented by Bilal Saleh, Principal Partner at E-Nor responsible for the US Southeastern region b...
Ticket Takers Ticket takers need to arrive no later than 7 p.m. Please check-in with Ellen Munds...
Please Note: This session is a repeat of the session offered in Semester 1 Theory into Practice: ...
Cyberian Technologies Hosts a Lunch and Learn Featuring: Veeam & Scale Computing ...
Leadership Learning Labs March 13 Topic To Text or Not to Text; Drawing the Social Media Line i...